Thursday 19 February 2015

The plague of respiratory illness

Three days to go to the marathon. All of the running is done, I just need to survive the plague of respiratory infections for a few more days and then get down to business. I am surrounded by illness: coughing and sneezing in the office, in the elevators, in the supermarkets. We are a city, a nation, full of snot and mucus as Winter heads towards Spring and it feels like the zombie holocaust is taking hold. As marathon day approaches and the culmination of several months of hard work is (hopefully) about to be realised, it becomes all too apparent that there is an unwritten law about not taking days off work for a cold. I am equally guilty of this, but right now I want the unwritten law to be fully rescinded, as being stopped in my tracks by a cold at this point would be devastating. Don't bring your illness too close to me or I may feel obliged to fend the zombie off with a baseball bat. So far I have fought off one cold last week and just have a slight, lingering cough that hopefully will improve rather than worsen over the next couple of days. I am nervous and excited but overall raring to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment