Thursday 20 November 2014

Cool, starless night running

The night is cool and starless, the Earth nuzzled in cloud, tucked in for bed. This is almost the perfect temperature for running - it is cool and dry, you sweat less, there is little chance of over-heating or dehydrating. The run keeps my legs and body warm - the only part of me that really gets cold is my hands and arms, wafting through the night air, so I cover them with sleeves and gloves. As long as you dress appropriately, none of this is a problem, even if it's raining. The main issue is ice, but it's not cold enough tonight for that. I keep an easy pace, not too slow but not too fast, taking it steady on the hills, and perhaps pushing a little more than I should on the flat. I complete 10 miles, put in a 7:15 mile as the sixth, average a bit under 8-minute miling, although the calf definitely aches during the last 3 miles and I am forced to ease off and nurse it home. Following 8 miles on Tuesday I am pleased, knowing we're away at the weekend and I'll probably have to fit in a smaller run if possible...

No comments:

Post a Comment