Sunday 31 August 2014

Ibuprofen gel is strange magic

I bought some proper ibuprofen gel yesterday to give it a go rather than the other anti-inflammatory stuff I'd been using. I'm still doing strengthening and stretching on the calves and strengthening the hip every day if don't run. Still had soreness in the right calf yesterday after the run the day before and several reps of strengthening. Within 30 minutes the ibuprofen gel took all the soreness away. This was amazing but also odd - I know the muscle is sore and the soreness is a sign I shouldn't be doing too much on it, so to have that soreness removed feels odd and potentially dangerous as I could over-use the muscle. However, for the end of the day when all of the exercises / running is over, it is a nice way to reduce soreness and relax the muscle as well as presumably reduce any swelling. I have decided to rest an extra day today (although obviously continue the strengthening) and give it a bit more time before the next run, which in will definitely do slowly!

No comments:

Post a Comment