Tuesday 14 October 2014

Running in the rain

I had almost forgotten how much I love running in the rain. The colour palette of my mind is washed, lashed onto the branches of autumnal trees, floating to the ground to be squished under-foot. The dripping hum of drizzle spreading an auditory ooze, grouting the cracks and smoothing the soundwaves. Combined with the steady rhythm of running it eases and soothes to a melodic, mechanistic trance.

There are fewer other people out in the rain, which is lovely, and as long as you dress appropriately and have a hot shower afterwards it is warm and comfortable.

I sustained my 'return-from-injury' schedule today: another 10k (6.2 miles), this time averaging 7:50 minute miles, with a 7:30 as the fifth mile to give the calf a little tester. Did 15 minutes warm up/down on the bike. Overall the legs feel okay, although I am hypervigilant and notice all niggles, particularly in the right calf, which still isn't perfect. Pretty pleased overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment