Saturday 20 December 2014

Unexpected Physio Trip

All is still largely going to plan - I am running around 7-8 miles mid-week on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and around a half marathon distance on the weekends. However, the calf is still very much not back to normal. I always feel it, sporadically have to stop to stretch it, and always have concern about something bad happening to it before I can get back home. It clearly is not as easy-going as the left calf.

Last week, I went to the Moti running shop hoping for a recommendation for a physio to assess the problems with my calf. Lucky for me, John walked through the door at that moment and offered me a free assessment. With pause only to make a vital cup of tea, we got to work. John walked me through the issues with my body, step by logical step, gradually revealing a complete picture which I feel he knew practically from the start. Neither of my feet land in a straight line down from the knee. The two legs are different, with the right (where I have the calf issues) worse than the left. My right side is weaker than the left in certain areas: lifting the knee up towards the chest, and lifting up the big toe. John traced these issues to the L2 and L5 vertebrae in my lumbar spine, and demonstrated that these were more tender than the others. Overall, I'm no longer surprised that I am having problems running! Whilst there is a considerable list of problems with the posture of my body, having them pointed out with such clarity has given me genuine optimism that something can be done about them. I hope that optimism is well founded.


No comments:

Post a Comment