Sunday 28 December 2014

Whales and Marlins

I feel it is no coincidence that this Christmas I was given two books which are undoubtedly related: Hemingway's 'The Old Man and the Sea', and Melville's 'Moby Dick'. Both describe the immense efforts of people to overcome multifarious obstacles in order to capture a monster far bigger than themselves (although I haven't read Moby Dick yet). It may be over-dramatic, but in some way this is how the marathon has become for me. Particularly since the calf problems, it has been a daily struggle to stay on top and build the mileage back up enough to make the marathon plausible. I put in calf-strengthening exercises daily, I now also slot in postural exercises and some 'neural flossing' as recommended by John. I am careful to warm up and down thoroughly around each run. I run three times per week, unsure each time whether the calf will fail again, but monitoring and adapting my runs accordingly. Add to this that I will not be satisfied purely with finishing the marathon, but I would like to run a reasonable time. My running is currently limited not by my fitness but by the leg, which sometimes does not allow me to run further. This is concerning given that my longest mileage since the injury is 15 miles. Still, I believe that my approach is giving me the best chance possible. It combines patience, determination, and discipline. Keep doing the exercises even though you may be bored. Keep training even though the weather may be terrible. Keep believing even though other people may not hide their doubt. There is never a guarantee of success, but you can always put in your best effort possible.

2 comments:

  1. How strange. I've also just started reading Moby Dick, although have been distracted by other books I've borrowed.
    Is the marathon your metaphorical white whale then Tim? Hope you had a great xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, it seems so at the moment. Yes, I must admit the size of Moby Dick with its small print makes it a sizeable monster to beat in itself! I read 'The Old Man and the Sea' first because it's only 100 pages long :-) Hope you guys enjoyed Christmas and new year too - all the best for 2015!

    ReplyDelete