Saturday 13 September 2014

Crunch Time

It is now definitely crunch time. It is 10 days since I saw the physio. I have about 5 weeks until the marathon, and I am going on holiday for 10 days in the final couple of weeks.

A few days ago I broke my rest by borrowing a friend's exercise bike, and cycled what the bike said was 10 miles in about 30 minutes (in reality I'm sure an exercise bike is much less effort than a real bike in the outside world). Overall, this felt great as it was the first proper cardio work I've done for some time, and it felt like it gently worked the calves without being to much effort for them.

This morning, I went for my first run for 10 days, a slow 3 miles. I'm not totally sure I'm ready, but I also think that unless I begin now there is no way I can prepare my injured muscles for a marathon in time. So I have to run now. I have to build up the miles bit by bit. And if at any point during that build-up I feel any proper pain in the calves I have to stop and postpone the marathon for at least a few months and recover properly.

This morning's run gave me some tightness, some small twinges in the calf muscles, but was overall okay. I drove the car in the afternoon and walked a few miles along the river between Bristol and Bath and the right calf felt tight and slight, brief needles of soreness at times, which isn't a good sign. I'll get on the exercise bike tomorrow, then if okay possibly do a slightly longer run the next day or two and see how it goes...it's not looking too promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment