Sunday 28 September 2014

The joy of running groups

Another motivation for getting the calf strong again is so that I can go along to the old running groups: Moti and/or Bristol & West. These running groups are great; they are sociable and supportive; the people are generally easy-going and friendly; and also they tend to do interval sessions when I always run harder in the group than when running alone. Interval sessions are when you alternate fast and slow running, which is amazing for cardio fitness. The fast interval on these sessions can often be close to 6 minute miling, particularly if the distance is relatively short. This means that the calf needs to be able to stand up to these kind of speeds, at least over shorter distances or at most a mile, before I will feel comfortable doing an interval session with the group. For today's 10k I averaged around 8 minute miling. The right calf felt okay so I pushed it a little in the middle with a 7:45 and then a 7:30 minute mile. However, there was a bit of a twinge in the calf so I eased back and know I'm not ready for the interval sessions just yet. Still, positive progress, followed by the usual bike ride and stretching out to warm down thoroughly. Soon Lucy and I will be heading to Poland for Flo and Honorata's wedding so I'll rest the legs for 10 days and get going again on my return...

No comments:

Post a Comment