Tuesday 23 September 2014

Very very odd run

As with all long-distance running, this is going to be a long haul and not a sprint. Long distance runners are not created in one summer, but over several years. Similarly, this injury is not going to get better overnight, but over a long recovery period, however frustrating that may be. I have to be disciplined and determined. Today, I'm not sure I was entirely disciplined! I planned to try another 10k today. Did 5 miles on the x-bike in 15 mins, started running and felt sore/tight in half a mile. Kept going to see if I'd shake it off but didn't really get better or worse and seriously considered stopping. Strangely, at about the 1.5 mile point, I felt like I wanted to go a bit quicker to stretch it out. The right calf continued to feel sore/tight and I stopped to stretch it now and again, but kept speeding up and it didn't feel worse. I started out at about 10 minute miles and finished up at 10k running the last mile at 8-minute miles - a moderate speed for me and the speed I was originally planning to run the marathon. Still can't decide if I have done more damage - it doesn't feel good but not terrible, and it was so nice to run a half-decent pace! I finished off with six miles on the x-bike in 15 mins and stretched out a lot...will see how it is in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment